In 2016 we planned to celebrate fifty years of comprehensive schools beginning to replace the old selective system of grammar schools and secondary moderns under which children were declared failures at age 11.
Now this Conservative Government has announced increased selection in the form of:
- More new grammar schools
- Extensions to existing grammars
- Forcing Multi-Academy Trusts to create a new form of back-door selection through “Centres of Excellence”.
We cannot let this go unopposed and have now retitled our 12th November conference (originally called “The Stalled Revolution”) as “No Return to Selection”.
A strong line-up of speakers will lead the discussion on what has been achieved – and what remains to be done to save and complete the comprehensive revolution.
Speakers will include:-
- Anne West, Director of Education Research at LSE
- Melissa Benn, journalist and author
- Roy Perry, Conservative Leader of Hampshire County Council
- Joanne Bartley, parent and Education campaigner in Kent
- Richy Thomson of Fair Admissions Campaign
10:00 – 15:45 on Saturday, 12th November 2016 at Mander Hall, Hamilton House, Mabledon Place, London, WC1H 9BD
Online booking is available at www.ticketsource.co.uk/date/287985
Tickets cost £27.50 (£30 on the door)
Download the flyer: no-return-to-selection-flyer-3