Having just released their inspection handbook at the end of last academic year, Oftsed have already updated it!
Here are the important changes about governance:
Ofsted Handbook Further update – September 2015
Inspectors will consider whether governors:
- work effectively with leaders to communicate the vision, ethos and strategic direction of the school and develop a culture of ambition
- provide a balance of challenge and support to leaders, understanding the strengths and areas needing improvement at the school
- provide support for an effective headteacher or are hindering school improvement because of a lack of understanding of the issues facing the school
- understand how the school makes decisions about teachers’ salary progression and performance
- performance manage the headteacher rigorously
- understand the impact of teaching, learning and assessment on the progress of pupils currently in the school
- ensure that assessment information from leaders provides governors with sufficient and accurate information to ask probing questions about outcomes for pupils
- ensure that the school’s finances are properly managed and can evaluate how the school is using the pupil premium and the primary PE and sport premium
- are transparent and accountable, including in recruitment of staff, governance structures, attendance at meetings and contact with parents.
P.S. I know it been ages since this website was updated. Other commitments have got in the way, but it will be making a comeback over the next few weeks.