Along with a couple of other governors I’m trying to develop a new induction pack for our school. I think it needs to have a one page tick list of all the things the school will do, the new governor will do and what information we are providing them with.
This is what we have so far. What do you think? Is anything essential missing? Is it too long? What do you have in yours?
DRAFT WELBOURNE GOVERNOR INDUCTION PACK
Firstly, thanks very much for becoming a governor. We really appreciate you volunteering your time and expertise. To ensure that you are supported to make a valuable contribution we have created the attached pack and will be offering you the support listed below.
WHAT WE’LL DO TO SUPPORT YOU
- Give you a tour of the school.
- Set up a meeting with the Headteacher, Parveen Duggal.
- Set up a meeting with the Chair of Governors, Owen Davies.
- Arrange new governor training for you through Haringey Governor Support and Training Unit.
- Make sure that you are fully introduced to all the other governors at the next meeting.
- Assign you an experienced governor as a mentor, s/he will meet with you and go through all the documentation listed below and will share his/her contact details with you so you can ask her/him any questions at any point.
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO
- Attend the meetings and training arranged with you.
- Fill out the attached skills audit.
- Write a short piece about yourself and provide a photo to go on the school’s website: http://www.welbourne.haringey.sch.uk/governors
- Review the documents attached with your mentor.
DOCUMENTS ATTACHED (YOUR MENTOR WILL GO THROUGH THESE WITH YOU)
- Glossary of education terms, jargon and acronyms (including school specific ones).
- Governor code of conduct.
- School Development Plan – sets out the school’s vision and what the school intends to achieve.
- Most recent Ofsted report – an external report on the strengths and weaknesses of the school.
- Self Evaluation Form – internal review of strengths and weaknesses and how we are addressing them.
- RAISEOnline data – this shows the performance of all students against national trends.
- Dates of all upcoming meetings.
- Summary of all sub-committees.
- List of all governors, including photos, roles and skills.
- List of all staff, including roles.
- Minutes of all governing body meetings for the past year.
- Governor training programme.
- Skills audit for you to fill out.
USEFUL WEBSITES TO CHECK (AND SIGN UP TO)
- http://dashboard.ofsted.gov.uk/ (gives a top level view of RAISEOnline data)
- http://parentview.ofsted.gov.uk/ (gives parents’ views of the school)